Most Active Stories
- SOAR Announces High-Capacity Broadband Project Plans
- Gov. Beshear Tells County Clerks to Fullfill Their Duties or Resign
- Conservationists Push for Legislation as Kentucky Explores Deep-Well Fracking
- ACLU Issues Statement on Rowan County Lawsuit
- Donation Center Opens in Rowan County to Assist Flood Victims
Wed March 19, 2014
Dr. Terrence Barrett and the Crypts of Lieberkuhn Show
#532 Show Summary (Dr. Terrence Barrett and the Crypts of Lieberkuhn Show):
What do self-hypnosis, yogurt, the Mediterranean diet, and hibernating squirrels have in common? All are topics discussed by our guest, Dr. Terrence Barrett, Chief of Gastroenterology at the University of Kentucky. In between, we discuss: cancer screening and inflammatory bowel disease. Yes, yes, we know it’s Health Matters, but it’s still a fairly interesting show.
Tip: People at average risk should be screened for colon cancer beginning at age 50, continuing to age 75. According to the US Preventive Services Task Force, screening options include colonoscopy every 10 years, flexible sigmoidoscopy every five years, or testing stool for blood yearly.