Most Active Stories
Thu November 14, 2013
MSU to Celebrate ‘America Recycles Day’
Morehead State University will join the nationwide effort to raise awareness of sustainability through recycling as it celebrates America Recycles Day Friday, Nov. 15.
The MSU Sustainability Committee will assist the University in recycling “much more” materials.
According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), as much as 45 percent of the 250 million tons of municipal waste generated was from commercial and institutional locations such as business and government offices, retail establishments, schools and hospitals.
The Sustainability Committee pledges to increase recycled materials generated at the workplace by 10 percent during the next two years.
MSU will achieve its goal by taking actions which may include:
• Identifying opportunities to recycle more and waste less;
• Making recycling more convenient in our workplace to enable greater participation;
• Increasing employee awareness of waste reduction and recycling opportunities in the workplace;
• Identifying cost-effective opportunities to purchase products with recycled content;
• Implementing purchasing policies that consider a product’s end of life use and recyclability;
• Reporting on our actions and progress through the Recycling at Work online reporting system;
• Celebrating our success; and
• Inviting at least one other company or organization to take this Pledge.
MSU is proud to take the Recycling at Work pledge and join other businesses and organizations in increasing recycling at our workplace. Every action adds up to making a difference.
America Recycles Day is a national program of Keep America Beautiful and is the only nationally recognized day and community-driven awareness event dedicated to promoting and celebrating recycling in the U.S. Since its inception in 1997, communities across the country have participated in America Recycles Day on Nov. 15 to educate, promote environmental citizenship and encourage action.
To learn more about sustainability initiatives at MSU, visit www.moreheadstate.edu/earthwise.
For more information on American Recycles Day, contact Holly Niehoff, Office of Environmental Health and Safety technician, at 606-783-2584 or email@example.com.
WMKY Feature Reports