Most Active Stories
- Rajant Corporation to Locate in Morehead; Nearly 30 Jobs Created
- Kentucky Arts Council Selects West Liberty Photographer as Featured Artist
- Revolving Door Of Teachers Costs Schools Billions Every Year
- MSU Selects Inaugural Craft Academy Students
- 24 Kentucky Artists Selected For Governor’s Derby Exhibit
Fri August 30, 2013
MSU Soccer Falls To Akron In Overtime
Sarah Sivic scored two goals, including the game-winner in overtime to help the Akron Zips defeat the Morehead State soccer team 2-1, Friday evening (August 30) at MSU's Jayne Stadium.
After an uneventful first half that saw the teams combine for eight total shots, with only two on goal, the Eagles (0-2-1) took a 1-0 lead five minutes into the second half on a well-struck header by Kimberly Golden, off of a corner kick from Caity Fox.
Akron (2-1) tied the game with 5:30 remaining on a strike from Sivic, as she placed a long shot just over the fingertips of MSU goalkeeper Kaitlynn Murphy. Sivic ended the contest 5:24 into the first overtime, as she took a pass from Maggie Rusnak off an Eagle turnover and placed it easily past the MSU goalie.
Akron outshot MSU 11-6, which included a 6-2 advantage in the second half.
MSU is back in action on Sunday (September 1) at 1 p.m. for a road match with defending Big 12 regular season champion No. 10 West Virginia.